Maria practices in the areas of intellectual property, internet law, and commercial litigation, representing clients throughout the United States. She focuses her practice on assisting businesses in protecting their trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, information technology, and other intellectual property through preventative measures to avoid disputes and through litigation when disputes arise.
An accomplished author, she has recently published Protect Your Writings: A Legal Guide for Authors and Apple v. Samsung, The Balance Between Patent Rights and the Free Market. She has numerous articles and dozens of published court cases. Maria frequently speaks at seminars and workshops on intellectual property and internet law topics. She is a guest lecturer at Arizona State University and has appeared on radio and television providing legal commentary on intellectual property issues.
Maria is the past Chairperson of the Intellectual Property Section of the Arizona State Bar, and is on the executive council of the Ecommerce & Technology Section of the Arizona State Bar. She is on the U.S. subcommittee of the Anti-counterfeiting Committee of the International Trademark Association. Maria is on the American Arbitration National Roster of Arbitrators and Mediators. More
Protecting intellectual property on the Web. Maria has successfully defended a controversial website in multiple lawsuits against it, dealing with complex intellectual property and free speech issues. In each case she forced the matter to be dropped, dismissed, or settled with the other side paying damages to her client.
Closing the page on an infringing publication. When a popular Utah magazine became the victim of copyright infringement and trade-secret theft, Maria stepped in to help, obtaining an injunction and damages and closing down the competing business within three months of filing the complaint.
- Author of Protect Your Writings: A Legal Guide for Authors
- Presents seminars for the State Bar of Arizona, the Arizona Small Business Association, The Inventors' Association of Arizona, National Business Institute, and Lorman Education Services, on intellectual property, Internet, and trademark protection.
- Faculty member of the internationally acclaimed CEO Space Forums.
- Guest speaker on TV and radio, addressing intellectual property protection topics.
- YWCA Metropolitan Phoenix (non-profit), Board of Directors
- Arizona State Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section, Executive Committee
- Arizona State Bar Association, past chair of E-commerce and Technology Section
- International Trademark Association, Anti-counterfeiting Committee
- Arizona Technology Council, Startup & Entrepreneurship Committee
- The Institute of Harmonic Science, Board of Directors
"Maria Speth has been representing our companies for almost ten years. When people ask about my attorney, I always say that if I had 4 sets of new radial tires, I would wear out every one of them, and would still not find someone as talented and with as much integrity as Maria. I have used attorneys for more than 30 years and Jaburg Wilk is the only firm I trust with all of our legal needs. Their legal staff is creative and they all know how to think outside the box, never missing a trick…all a must when doing business on the Internet." -Owner, Internet companies